How to use a JAPAN RAIL PASS

How to turn in an exchange order to receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS

How to turn in an exchange order to receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS

  • You cannot use an Exchange Order when you travel on JR lines. Turn in your Exchange Order and obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS at one of the JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices. shown on the pages to the right. (Please note the Service hours and closing days.)
  • Your Exchange Order must be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS within three months of the date the Order was issued.
  • "When you make the exchange you will be asked to fill in a simple application form (You can fill in the form when you are in Japan, but it can be downloaded from this home page, as indicated below) and also to show the Temporary Visitor visa that was stamped or stuck in your passport when you entered Japan. You must show your passport with the Temporary Visitor stamp/sticker in it in order for your Rail Pass exchange order to be screened.

    * Without your passport, the pass exchange will not be made. (A photocopy of your passport is also not acceptable because you must show the "Temporary Visitor" stamp/sticker in it.)
    * If you are a Japanese national resident in a country other than Japan and with permanent resident status in that country, please show, in addition to your passport, documents testifying to your status.
  • The type of PASS described on the Exchange Order cannot be changed.
  • If the Exchange Order is lost or stolen, or you are unable to provide it for another reason, no exchange for a JAPAN RAIL PASS can be made.
  • In order to speed up the exchange process in Japan, you should fill in this exchange application form in advance.

JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange application form

Make sure you read these important notes regarding the exchange application form.
※ You cannot purchase a JAPAN RAIL PASS with this application form alone.
※ In order to obtain the JAPAN RAIL PASS in Japan you must present your passport, Exchange Order and this application form at a JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office. ※ Applications sent by email or facsimile cannot be accepted.

Make sure you have read the notes regarding use of the JAPAN RAIL PASS.
Important notes:
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen lines. (The pass holders must take “HIKARI,” “SAKURA,” “KODAMA,” or “TSUBAME” trains.) If you use a “NOZOMI” or “MIZUHO” train, you must pay the basic fare and the limited express charge, and for a Green Car the Green Car surcharge. In addition, if you use the GranClass car on the “HAYABUSA” train of the Tohoku Shinkansen, you must pay the limited express charge and the GranClass car surcharge.

Once you have read the above, print out the JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange application form.

JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange application form (136KB)